Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Any power, authority or responsibility exercised or capable of being exercised by a local governmental unit of this state may be exercised and carried out jointly with any other local governmental unit of this state, any state board, agency or commission and any public agency of the United States, to the extent that the laws of the United States permit such joint exercise or enjoyment.
(2) No such power, authority and responsibility may be exercised under the provisions of this chapter which will have the effect of abolishing any office which is held by a person elected by the citizenry, without first an election being called to decide the question of the abolition of any such elected office.
(3) No agreement made hereunder shall be entered into by any local governmental unit without the approval by resolution on the minutes of the governing authority of that local governmental unit.
(4) Any two (2) or more local governmental units may enter into written contractual agreements with one another for joint or cooperative action to provide services and facilities pursuant to the provisions of this chapter. Appropriate action by ordinance, resolution or otherwise pursuant to the law controlling the participating local governmental units or agencies shall be necessary before any such agreement shall be in force.
(5) No such power, authority and responsibility may be exercised under the provisions of this chapter by a local governmental unit which it would not have authority to exercise otherwise pursuant to the law controlling the local governmental unit.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 17. Local Government; Provisions Common to Counties and Municipalities § 17-13-7. Joint exercise of authority - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-17-local-government-provisions-common-to-counties-and-municipalities/ms-code-sect-17-13-7.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?