Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Subject to the provisions of section 461.079, sections 461.003 to 461.081 apply to a nonprobate transfer on death if at the time the owner designated the beneficiary:
(1) The owner was a resident of this state;
(2) The obligation to pay or deliver arose in this state or the property was situated in this state; or
(3) The transferring entity was a resident of this state or had a place of business in this state or the obligation to make the transfer was accepted in this state.
2. The direction for a nonprobate transfer on death of the owner and the obligation to execute the nonprobate transfer remain subject to the provisions of sections 461.003 to 461.081 despite a subsequent change in the beneficiary, in the rules of the transferring entity under which the transfer is to be executed, in the residence of the owner, in the residence or place of business of the transferring entity or in the location of the property.
3. Sections 461.003 to 461.045 and 461.059 to 461.065 do not apply to accounts or deposits in financial institutions unless the provisions of sections 461.003 to 461.081 are incorporated into the certificate, account or deposit agreement in whole or in part by express reference.
4. Sections 461.003 to 461.081 apply to transfer on death directions given to a personal custodian under the Missouri personal custodian law to the extent that they do not conflict with section 404.560.
5. Sections 461.003 to 461.045 and 461.059 to 461.065 do not apply to certificates of ownership or title issued by the director of revenue.
6. Sections 461.003 to 461.045, 461.051 and 461.059 to 461.081 do not apply to property, money or benefits paid or transferred at death pursuant to a life or accidental death insurance policy, annuity, contract, plan or other product sold or issued by a life insurance company unless the provisions of sections 461.003 to 461.081 are incorporated into the policy or beneficiary designation in whole or in part by express reference.
7. Sections 461.003 to 461.045 and 461.059 to 461.065 do not apply to any nonprobate transfer where the governing instrument or law expressly provides that the nonprobate transfers law of Missouri shall not apply.
8. Section 461.051 shall not apply to any employee benefit plan governed by 29 U.S.C. Section 1001 et seq.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XXXI. Trusts and Estates of Decedents and Persons Under Disability § 461.073. Scope and application of law - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xxxi-trusts-and-estates-of-decedents-and-persons-under-disability/mo-rev-st-461-073.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?