Except as otherwise provided, when used in chapter 534, chapter 535, or this chapter, the following terms mean:
(1) “Landlord” , the owner or lessor of the premises or a person authorized by the owner to exercise any aspect of the management of the premises;
(2) “Lease” , a written or oral agreement for the use or possession of premises;
(3) “Lessee” , any person who leases premises from another to the exclusion of others during the rental or lease period and who is obligated to pay rent;
(4) “Premises” , land, tenements, condominium or cooperative units, air rights and all other types of real property leased under the terms of a rental agreement, including any facilities and appurtenances, to such premises, and any grounds, areas and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or the use of which is promised to the tenant. “Premises” include structures, fixed or mobile, temporary or permanent, vessels, manufactured homes as defined in section 700.010 , mobile trailer homes and vehicles which are used or intended for use primarily as a dwelling or as a place for commercial or industrial operations or storage;
(5) “Rent” , a stated payment for the temporary possession or use of a house, land or other real property, made at fixed intervals by a tenant or lessee to a landlord;
(6) “Tenant” , a person who occupies the premises with the landlord's consent.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.