(1) “Bail bond agent” , a surety agent or an agent of a property bail bondsman who is duly licensed pursuant to the provisions of sections 374.695 to 374.789 , is employed by and is working under the authority of a licensed general bail bond agent;
(2) “Bail bond or appearance bond” , a bond for a specified monetary amount which is executed by the defendant and a qualified licensee pursuant to sections 374.695 to 374.789 , and which is issued to a court or authorized officer as security for the subsequent court appearance of the defendant upon the defendant's release from actual custody pending the appearance;
(3) “Department” , the department of insurance, financial institutions and professional registration of the state of Missouri;
(4) “Director” , the director of the department of insurance, financial institutions and professional registration;
(5) “General bail bond agent” , a surety agent or a property bail bondsman, as defined in sections 374.700 to 374.775 , who is licensed in accordance with sections 374.700 to 374.775 and who devotes at least fifty percent of his working time to the bail bond business in this state;
(6) “Insurer” , any surety insurance company which is qualified by the department to transact surety business in Missouri;
(7) “Licensee” , a bail bond agent or a general bail bond agent;
(8) “Property bail bondsman” , a person who pledges United States currency, United States postal money orders or cashier's checks or other property as security for a bail bond in connection with a judicial proceeding, and who receives or is promised therefor money or other things of value;
(9) “Surety bail bond agent” , any person appointed by an insurer by power of attorney to execute or countersign bail bonds in connection with judicial proceedings, and who receives or is promised money or other things of value therefor;
(10) “Surety recovery agent” , a person not performing the duties of a sworn peace officer who tracks down, captures and surrenders to the custody of a court a fugitive who has violated a bail bond agreement, excluding a bail bond agent or general bail bond agent;
(11) “Taking a bail” or “take bail” , the acceptance by a person authorized to take bail of the undertaking of a sufficient surety for the appearance of the defendant according to the terms of the undertaking or that the surety will pay to the court the sum specified. Taking of bail or take bail does not include the fixing of the amount of bail and no person other than a competent court shall fix the amount of bail.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.