Missouri Revised Statutes Title XL. Additional Executive Departments § 643.055. Commission may adopt rules for compliance with federal law--suspension, reinstatement--exemption, limitations--regulation of residential wood burning heaters or appliances prohibited without legislative authorization
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Missouri Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. Other provisions of law notwithstanding, the Missouri air conservation commission shall have the authority to promulgate rules and regulations, pursuant to chapter 536, to establish standards and guidelines to ensure that the state of Missouri is in compliance with the provisions of the federal Clean Air Act, as amended (42 U.S.C. Section 7401, et seq.). The standards and guidelines so established shall not be any stricter than those required under the provisions of the federal Clean Air Act, as amended; nor shall those standards and guidelines be enforced in any area of the state prior to the time required by the federal Clean Air Act, as amended. The restrictions of this section shall not apply to the parts of a state implementation plan developed by the commission to bring a nonattainment area into compliance and to maintain compliance when needed to have a United States Environmental Protection Agency approved state implementation plan. The determination of which parts of a state implementation plan are not subject to the restrictions of this section shall be based upon specific findings of fact by the air conservation commission as to the rules, regulations and criteria that are needed to have a United States Environmental Protection Agency approved plan.
2. The Missouri air conservation commission shall also have the authority to grant exceptions and variances from the rules set under subsection 1 of this section when the person applying for the exception or variance can show that compliance with such rules:
(1) Would cause economic hardship; or
(2) Is physically impossible; or
(3) Is more detrimental to the environment than the variance would be; or
(4) Is impractical or of insignificant value under the existing conditions.
3. The department shall not regulate the manufacture, performance, or use of residential wood burning heaters or appliances through a state implementation plan or otherwise, unless first specifically authorized to do so by the general assembly. No rule or regulation respecting the establishment or the enforcement of performance standards for residential wood burning heaters or appliances shall become effective unless and until first approved by the joint committee on administrative rules.
4. New rules or regulations shall not be applied to existing wood burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, or heaters that individuals are currently using as their source of heat for their homes or businesses. All wood burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and heaters existing on August 28, 2014, shall not be subject to any rules or regulations enacted after such date. No employee of the state or state agency shall enforce any new rules or regulations against such existing wood burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and heaters.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XL. Additional Executive Departments § 643.055. Commission may adopt rules for compliance with federal law--suspension, reinstatement--exemption, limitations--regulation of residential wood burning heaters or appliances prohibited without legislative authorization - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xl-additional-executive-departments/mo-rev-st-643-055.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?