Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. As used in this section, the following terms mean:
(1) “Deaf person”, any person who, because of hearing loss, is not able to discriminate speech when spoken in a normal conversation tone regardless of the use of amplification devices;
(2) “Hearing-impaired person”, any person who, because of hearing loss, has a diminished capacity to discriminate speech when spoken in a normal conversational tone;
(3) “J88”, a notation on a driver's license that indicates the person is a deaf or hearing-impaired person who uses alternative communication.
2. Any resident of this state who is a deaf or hearing-impaired person may apply to the department of revenue to have the notation “J88” placed on the person's driver's license. The department of revenue, by rule, may establish the cost and criteria for placement of the “J88” notation, such as requiring an applicant to submit certain medical proof of deafness or hearing impairment.
3. Any rule or portion of a rule, as that term is defined in section 536.010, that is created under the authority delegated in this section shall become effective only if it complies with and is subject to all of the provisions of chapter 536 and, if applicable, section 536.028. This section and chapter 536 are nonseverable and if any of the powers vested with the general assembly pursuant to chapter 536 to review, to delay the effective date or to disapprove and annul a rule are subsequently held unconstitutional, then the grant of rulemaking authority and any rule proposed or adopted after August 28, 2001, shall be invalid and void.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XIX. Motor Vehicles, Watercraft and Aviation § 302.174. Hearing impaired, driver’s license special notation,definitions--rulemaking authority - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xix-motor-vehicles-watercraft-and-aviation/mo-rev-st-302-174.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?