Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, any member of the National Rifle Association, after an annual payment of an emblem-use fee to the National Rifle Association, may receive specialty personalized license plates for any motor vehicle the member owns, either solely or jointly, other than an apportioned motor vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle licensed in excess of twenty-four thousand pounds gross weight. The National Rifle Association hereby authorizes the use of its official emblem to be affixed on specialty personalized license plates within the plate area prescribed by the director of revenue and as provided in this section. Any contribution to the National Rifle Association derived from this section, except reasonable administrative costs, shall be used solely for the purposes of the National Rifle Association. Any member of the National Rifle Association may annually apply for the use of the emblem.
2. Upon annual application and payment of a twenty-five dollar emblem-use contribution to the National Rifle Association, the National Rifle Association shall issue to the vehicle owner, without further charge, an emblem-use authorization statement, which shall be presented by the vehicle owner to the director of revenue at the time of registration. Upon presentation of the annual statement and payment of a fifteen dollar fee in addition to the regular registration fees, and presentation of any documents which may be required by law, the director of revenue shall issue to the vehicle owner a specialty personalized license plate which shall bear the emblem of the National Rifle Association, and the words National Rifle Association at the bottom of the plate, in a manner prescribed by the director of revenue. Such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design of the standard license plate, shall be clearly visible at night, shall have a reflective white background in the area of the plate configuration, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 301.144, no additional fee shall be charged for the personalization of license plates issued pursuant to this section.
3. A vehicle owner who was previously issued a plate with the National Rifle Association's emblem authorized by this section, but who does not provide an emblem-use authorization statement at a subsequent time of registration, shall be issued a new plate which does not bear the National Rifle Association's emblem, as otherwise provided by law. The director of revenue shall make necessary rules and regulations for the enforcement of this section, and shall design all necessary forms required by this section.
4. Prior to the issuance of a National Rifle Association specialty personalized plate authorized under this section the department of revenue must be in receipt of an application, as prescribed by the director, which shall be accompanied by a list of at least two hundred potential applicants who plan to purchase the specialty personalized plate, the proposed art design for the specialty license plate, and an application fee, not to exceed five thousand dollars, to defray the department's cost for issuing, developing, and programming the implementation of the specialty plate. Once the plate design is approved, the director of revenue shall not authorize the manufacture of the material to produce such specialized license plates with the individual seal, logo, or emblem until such time as the director has received two hundred applications, the fifteen dollar specialty plate fee per application, and emblem use statements, if applicable, and other required documents or fees for such plates.
5. The specialty personalized plate shall not be redesigned unless the organization pays the director in advance for all redesigned plate fees for the plate established in this section. If a member chooses to replace the specialty personalized plate for the new design the member must pay the replacement fees prescribed in section 301.300 for the replacement of the existing specialty personalized plate. All other applicable license plates fees in accordance with this chapter shall be required.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XIX. Motor Vehicles, Watercraft and Aviation § 301.3170. National Rifle Association special license plate, application, fee - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xix-motor-vehicles-watercraft-and-aviation/mo-rev-st-301-3170.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?