1. There is hereby established a pilot program for public middle school students using military training and motivation methods. This program shall be established jointly by the department of elementary and secondary education, the department of social services and the National Guard.
2. The program may include and emphasize appropriate role model examples, adventure training, codes of conduct and policies on discipline as necessary to train students to become personally disciplined.
3. Students in the seventh or eighth grade may apply to attend the program upon recommendation of their school administration, or upon recommendation by local children's division counselors.
4. This program shall be a four-week residential program at a National Guard facility during which time military training instructors from the National Guard shall have overall responsibility for the students. Academic instruction shall be provided by the local school system and needed training for the families of the students shall be provided by school counselors or the department of social services.
5. There is hereby established in the state treasury the “National Guard Pilot Instruction Program Fund”. The pilot program of public instruction established pursuant to this section shall be funded by moneys from this fund. The fund may receive any grants, gifts, donations and appropriations for the purpose of establishing and operating this program.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.