Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Any district established under the provisions of sections 71.790 to 71.808 may, upon approval of the constitutionally required percentage of the voters of the district voting thereon, incur indebtedness and issue bonds or notes for the payment thereof. Notice of the election, the amount and the purpose of the loan shall be given.
2. The question shall be submitted in substantially the following form:
Shall the special business district incur indebtedness for the purpose of ․․․․․․․․․․ in the amount of ․․․․․․․․․․ dollars, evidenced by the issuance of bonds or notes and levy a real estate tax to pay therefor?
3. If the constitutionally required percentage of the votes cast are for the indebtedness, the district shall, subject to the restrictions of section 71.796 and section 71.800, be vested with the power to incur indebtedness in the name of the district, to the amount and for the purposes specified on the ballot, and issue the bonds of the district for the payment thereof.
4. The indebtedness authorized by this section shall not be contracted for a period longer than twenty years, and the entire amount of the indebtedness shall at no time exceed, including the existing indebtedness of the district, in the aggregate ten percent of the value of taxable tangible property therein, as shown by the last completed assessment for state and county purposes.
5. It shall be the duty of the district to provide for the collection of an annual tax sufficient to pay the interest on the indebtedness as it falls due, and also to constitute a sinking fund for the payment of the principal thereof within the time the principal becomes due.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title VII. Cities, Towns and Villages § 71.802. General obligation bonds authorized, when--election, notice of--form of ballot - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-vii-cities-towns-and-villages/mo-rev-st-71-802.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?