Missouri Revised Statutes Title VI. County, Township and Political Subdivision Government § 67.571. Museums and festivals, sales tax authorized (Buchanan County)
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Missouri Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. The governing body of any county of the first classification with a population of more than eighty-two thousand inhabitants and less than ninety thousand inhabitants may, in addition to any tourism sales tax imposed pursuant to sections 67.671 to 67.685, by a majority vote, impose a sales tax for the funding of museums and festivals. For purposes of this section, the term “funding of museums and festivals” shall mean:
(1) Funding of museums operating in the county, which are registered with the United States Internal Revenue Service as a 501(C)(3) corporation and which are considered by the board to be tourism attractions; and
(2) Funding of organizations that are registered as 501(C)(3) corporations which promote cultural heritage tourism including festivals and the arts.
2. Any question submitted to the voters of such county to establish a sales tax pursuant to this section shall be submitted in substantially the following form:
“Shall the county of __________ (insert the name of the county) impose a sales tax of __________ (insert rate of percent) percent to be used to fund (museums, cultural heritage, festivals) in certain areas of the county?”
☐ YES ☐ NO
3. If a majority of the votes cast on the proposal by the qualified voters voting thereon are in favor of the proposal, and the tax takes effect pursuant to this section, the museums and festivals board appointed pursuant to subsection 5 of this section shall determine in what manner the tax revenue moneys will be expended, and disbursements of these moneys shall be made strictly in accordance with directions of the board which are consistent with the provisions of sections 67.571 to 67.577. Expenditures of these tax moneys may be made for the employment of personnel selected by the board to assist in carrying out the duties of the board, and the board is expressly authorized to employ such personnel. Expenditures of these tax moneys may be made directly to corporations pursuant to subsection 1 of this section. No such tax revenue moneys shall be disbursed to or on behalf of any corporation, organization or entity that is not duly registered with the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(C)(3) organization.
4. Any sales tax imposed pursuant to this section shall be imposed at a rate not to exceed two-tenths of one percent on receipts from the sale of certain tangible personal property or taxable services within the county pursuant to sections 67.571 to 67.577.
5. The governing body of any county which imposes a sales tax pursuant to this section may establish a museums and festivals board for the purpose of expending funds collected from any sales tax submitted and approved by the county's voters pursuant to this section. The board shall be comprised of six members who are appointed by the governing body of the county from a list of candidates supplied by the chair of each of the two major political parties of the county. The board shall be comprised of three members from each of the two political parties. Members shall serve for three-year terms, but of the members first appointed, one shall be appointed for a term of one year, two shall be appointed for a term of two years, and two shall be appointed for a term of three years. Each member shall be a resident of the county from which he or she is appointed. The members of the board shall not receive compensation for service on the board, but shall be reimbursed from the tax revenue money for any reasonable and necessary expenses incurred in service on the board.
6. In the area of each county in which a sales tax has been imposed in the manner provided by sections 67.571 to 67.577, every retailer within such area shall add the tax imposed by the provisions of sections 67.571 to 67.577 to his sale price, and this tax shall be a debt of the purchaser to the retailer until paid, and shall be recoverable at law in the same manner as the purchase price.
7. In counties imposing a tax under the provisions of sections 67.571 to 67.577, in order to permit sellers required to collect and report the sales tax to collect the amount required to be reported and remitted, but not to change the requirements of reporting or remitting the tax, or to serve as a levy of the tax, and in order to avoid fractions of pennies, the governing body may authorize the use of a bracket system similar to that authorized by the provisions of section 144.285, and notwithstanding the provisions of that section, this new bracket system shall be used where this tax is imposed and shall apply to all taxable transactions.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title VI. County, Township and Political Subdivision Government § 67.571. Museums and festivals, sales tax authorized (Buchanan County) - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-vi-county-township-and-political-subdivision-government/mo-rev-st-67-571.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?