Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. The general administration and the responsibility for the proper operation of the fund and the system and the investment of the funds of the system are vested in a board of directors of eleven persons. Nine directors shall be elected by a secret ballot vote of the county employee members of this state. Two directors, who have no beneficiary interest in the system, shall be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. No more than one director at any one time shall be employed by the same elected county office. Directors shall be chosen for terms of four years from the first day of January next following their election. It shall be the responsibility of the board to establish procedures for the conduct of future elections of directors and such procedures shall be approved by a majority vote by secret ballot by members of the system. The board shall have all powers and duties that are necessary and proper to enable it, its officers, employees and agents to fully and effectively carry out all the purposes of sections 50.1000 to 50.1300.
2. The board of directors shall elect one of their number as chairman and one of their number as vice chairman and may employ an administrator who shall serve as secretary to the board. The board shall hold regular meetings at least once each quarter. Board meetings shall be held in Jefferson City. Other meetings may be called as necessary by the chairman. Notice of such meetings shall be given in accordance with chapter 610.
3. The board of directors shall retain an actuary as technical advisor to the board.
4. The board of directors shall retain investment counsel to be an investment advisor to the board.
5. The board shall arrange for annual audits of the Missouri county employees' retirement system and the operations of the board by a certified public accountant or by a firm of certified public accountants.
6. The board of directors shall serve without compensation for their services, but each director shall be paid out of the funds of the system for any actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of duties authorized by the board.
7. The board of directors shall be allowed administrative costs for the operation of the system to be paid out of the funds of the system.
8. The board shall keep a record of its proceedings which shall be open to public inspection. It shall annually prepare a report showing the financial condition of the system. The report shall contain, but not be limited to, an auditor's opinion, financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, an actuary's certification along with actuarial assumptions and financial solvency tests.
9. The board shall conduct an annual review, to determine if, among other things, the following actions are actuarially feasible:
(1) An adjustment to the formula described in section 50.1060, subject to the limitations of subsection 4 of section 50.1060;
(2) An adjustment in the flat dollar pension benefit credit described in subsection 1 of section 50.1060;
(3) The cost-of-living increase as described in section 50.1070;
(4) An adjustment in the matching contribution described in section 50.1230;
(5) An adjustment in the twenty-five year service cap on creditable service;
(6) An adjustment to the target replacement ratio; or
(7) An additional benefit or enhancement which will improve the quality of life of future retirees. Based upon the findings of the actuarial review, the board may vote to change none, one, or more than one of the above items, subject to the actuarial guidelines outlined in section 50.1031.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title VI. County, Township and Political Subdivision Government § 50.1030. Board of directors, election, appointment by the governor, term, powers, duties--chairman, secretary - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-vi-county-township-and-political-subdivision-government/mo-rev-st-50-1030.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?