Minnesota Statutes Transportation (Ch. 160-174A) § 169.15. Impeding traffic;  intersection gridlock

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Subdivision 1.Impeding traffic;  slow speed.  No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway.

Subd. 2.Intersection gridlock;  stop or block traffic.  (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal until the driver is able to move the vehicle immediately, continuously, and completely through the intersection without impeding or blocking the subsequent movement of cross traffic.

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to movement of a vehicle made:

(1) at the direction of a city-authorized traffic-control agent or a peace officer;

(2) to facilitate passage of an authorized emergency vehicle with its emergency lights activated;  or

(3) to make a turn, as permitted under section 169.19 , that allows the vehicle to safely leave the intersection.

(c) A violation of this subdivision does not constitute grounds for suspension or revocation of the violator's driver's license.

Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Minnesota Statutes Transportation (Ch. 160-174A) § 169.15. Impeding traffic;  intersection gridlock - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mn/transportation-ch-160-174a/mn-st-sect-169-15.html

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard