Minnesota Statutes Transportation (Ch. 160-174A) § 168.091. 31-day temporary vehicle permit

Subdivision 1. Nonresident buyer.  (a)  Upon payment of a fee of $1, the commissioner may issue a permit to a nonresident purchasing a vehicle in this state for the sole purpose of allowing the vehicle to be removed from this state.

(b) The permit is in lieu of any other registration or taxation for use of the highways and is valid for a period of 31 days from the date of sale, trade, or gift.

(c) The permit must be available in an electronic format as determined by the commissioner.

(d) If the sale, gift, or trade information is electronically transmitted to the commissioner by a dealer or deputy registrar of motor vehicles, the $1 fee is waived.

(e) The permit must be posted upon the left side of the inside rear window of the vehicle or, if not practicable, where it is plainly visible to law enforcement.  Each permit is valid only for the vehicle for which the permit was issued.

Subd. 2. Dealer.  The registrar may issue a quantity of permits in booklet form to licensed dealers upon payment of the proper fee for each permit contained in said booklet.  When issuing a permit, the dealer shall immediately forward to the registrar information on forms supplied by the registrar showing to whom the permit was issued, the vehicle description, date of issue and expiration, and such other information as the registrar may require.

Subd. 3. Proceeds to highway user fund.  All payments received for such permits shall be paid into the state treasury and credited to the highway user tax distribution fund.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard