Minnesota Statutes Elections (Ch. 200-212) § 208.45. Presiding officer;  elector vacancy

(a) The secretary of state shall preside at the meeting of electors described in section 208.06 .

(b) The position of an elector not present to vote is vacant.  The secretary of state shall appoint an individual as a substitute elector to fill a vacancy as follows:

(1) if the alternate elector is present to vote, by appointing the alternate elector for the vacant position;

(2) if the alternate elector for the vacant position is not present to vote, by appointing an elector chosen by lot from among the alternate electors present to vote who were nominated by the same political party or unaffiliated presidential candidate;

(3) if the number of alternate electors present to vote is insufficient to fill any vacant position pursuant to clauses (1) and (2), by appointing any immediately available individual who is qualified to serve as an elector and chosen through nomination by a plurality vote of the remaining electors, including nomination and vote by a single elector if only one remains;

(4) if there is a tie between at least two nominees for substitute elector in a vote conducted under clause (3), by appointing an elector chosen by lot from among those nominees;  or

(5) if all elector positions are vacant and cannot be filled pursuant to clauses (1) to (4), by appointing a single presidential elector, with remaining vacant positions to be filled under clause (3) and, if necessary, clause (4).

(c) To qualify as a substitute elector under paragraph (b), an individual who has not executed the pledge required under section 208.43 shall execute the following pledge:  “I agree to serve and to mark my ballots for president and vice president consistent with the pledge of the individual to whose elector position I have succeeded.”

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard