Minnesota Statutes Domestic Relations (Ch. 517-519A) § 518.27. Name of party

Except as provided in section 259.13, in the final decree of dissolution or legal separation the court shall, if requested by a party, change the name of that party to another name as the party requests.  The court shall grant a request unless it finds that there is an intent to defraud or mislead, unless the name change is subject to section 259.13 , in which case the requirements of that section apply.  The court shall notify the parties that use of a different surname after dissolution or legal separation without complying with section 259.13 , if applicable, is a gross misdemeanor.  The party's new name shall be so designated in the final decree.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard