Minnesota Statutes Domestic Relations (Ch. 517-519A) § 518.005. Rules governing proceedings;  formal requirements;  fee

Subdivision 1. Applicable.  Unless otherwise specifically provided, the Rules of Civil Procedure for the district court apply to all proceedings under this chapter.

Subd. 2. Title.  A proceeding for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, or annulment shall be entitled “In re the Marriage of ․․․․․․․․․․ and ․․․․․․․․․․”  A custody or support proceeding shall be entitled “In re the (Custody) (Support) of ․․․․․․․․․․”

Subd. 3. Names of pleadings.  The initial pleading in all proceedings under this chapter shall be denominated a petition.  A responsive pleading shall be denominated an answer.  Other pleadings shall be denominated as provided in the Rules of Civil Procedure.

Subd. 4. Decree;  judgment.  In this chapter and chapter 518A, “decree” includes “judgment.”

Subd. 5. Prohibited disclosure.  In all proceedings under this chapter and chapter 518A in which public assistance is assigned under section 256.741 or the public authority provides services to a party or parties to the proceedings, notwithstanding statutory or other authorization for the public authority to release private data on the location of a party to the action, information on the location of one party may not be released by the public authority to the other party if:

(1) the public authority has knowledge that a protective order with respect to the other party has been entered;  or

(2) the public authority has reason to believe that the release of the information may result in physical or emotional harm to the other party.

Subd. 6.Filing fee.  The first paper filed for a party in all proceedings for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, or annulment or proceedings to establish child support obligations shall be accompanied by a filing fee of $50.  The fee is in addition to any other prescribed by law or rule.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.