Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 5807. (1) A person may not bring or maintain an action to recover damages or money due for breach of contract or to enforce the specific performance of a contract unless, after the claim first accrued to the person or to someone through whom the person claims, the person commences the action within the applicable period prescribed by this section.
(2) The period of limitations on an action charging a surety on a bond of a personal representative or guardian is 4 years after the discharge of the personal representative or guardian.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in this section or another statute of this state, the period of limitations is 10 years for an action founded on a bond of a public officer.
(4) The period of limitations on an action founded on a bond executed under sections 80 and 81 of 1846 RS 16, MCL 41.80 and 41.81 , is 2 years after the expiration of the year for which the constable was elected.
(5) The period of limitations is 10 years for an action founded on a covenant in a deed or mortgage of real estate.
(6) Except as otherwise provided in another statute of this state, the period of limitations is 2 years for an action charging a surety for costs.
(7) The period of limitations is 2 years for an action brought on a bond or recognizance given on appeal from a court in this state.
(8) The period of limitations is 10 years for an action on a bond, note, or other like instrument that is the direct or indirect obligation of, or was issued by although not the obligation of, this state or a county, city, village, township, school district, special assessment district, or other public or quasi-public corporation in this state.
(9) The period of limitations is 6 years for an action to recover damages or money due for breach of contract that is not described in subsections (2) to (8).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 600. Revised Judicature Act of 1961 § 600.5807 - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-600-revised-judicature-act-of-1961/mi-comp-laws-600-5807.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.