Skip to main content

Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 436. Alcoholic Beverages § 436.1514

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 514.  (1) Notwithstanding section 501   1 and subject to the quota system under this act, the commission may issue a class B hotel license to a hotel and conference center owned and operated by a university meeting at least all of the following:

(a) Contains a hotel with at least 150 guest rooms.

(b) Has a restaurant seating at least 125 guests that serves a full-menu breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

(c) Has over 30,000 square feet of flexible meeting space.

(d) Is open year-round to provide services to the public and to serve the mission of the hospitality program.

(e) Has a hospitality program providing at least all of the following at the site of the hotel and conference center as part of that program:

(i) Student education classrooms.

(ii) A working hospitality laboratory setting.

(iii) Utilization of rotational interns each semester or equivalent time period.

(2) In public areas of the hotel and conference center, the sale and consumption of alcoholic liquor is limited to table service only unless the public areas are reserved for private functions.

(3) As used in this section, “hospitality program” means a course of academic study that, at a minimum, is a nationally accredited program at baccalaureate and graduate levels in the hospitality business that requires at least 120 semester credits or the equivalent for completion of the baccalaureate degree and that has a teaching and research staff predominated by individuals with at least doctoral degrees.

1  M.C.L.A. § 436.1501.

Cite this article: - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 436. Alcoholic Beverages § 436.1514 - last updated February 09, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard