Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 109e. (1) As used in this section:
(a) “Abortion” means the intentional use of an instrument, drug, or other substance or device to terminate a woman's pregnancy for a purpose other than to increase the probability of a live birth, to preserve the life or health of the child after live birth, or to remove a dead fetus. Abortion does not include the use or prescription of a drug or device intended as a contraceptive.
(b) “Health care professional” means an individual licensed or registered under article 15 of the public health code, Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978, being sections 333.16101 to 333.18838 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(c) “Health facility or agency” means a health facility or agency licensed under article 17 of Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978, being sections 333.20101 to 333.22260 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) A health care professional or a health facility or agency shall not seek or accept reimbursement for the performance of an abortion knowing that public funds will be or have been used in whole or in part for the reimbursement in violation of section 109a of Act No. 280 of the Public Acts of 1939, being section 400.109a of the Michigan Compiled Laws, as added by Act No. 59 of the Public Acts of 1987.
(3) A person who violates this section is liable for a civil fine of up to $10,000.00 per violation. The department of community health shall investigate an alleged violation of this section and the attorney general, in cooperation with the department of community health, may bring an action to enforce this section.
(4) Nothing in this section restricts the right of a health care professional to discuss abortion or abortion services with a patient who is pregnant.
(5) This section does not create a right to an abortion.
(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a person shall not perform an abortion that is prohibited by law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 400. Social Services § 400.109e - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-400-social-services/mi-comp-laws-400-109e.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?