Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 99z. (1) From the state school aid fund money appropriated in section 11, 1 there is allocated an amount not to exceed $5,000,000.00 for 2020-2021 for payments to eligible districts described in subsection (3) to be used in the manner described in subsection (4).
(2) A district seeking funding under this section shall apply for the funding in a form and manner prescribed by the department.
(3) A district that meets all of the following is an eligible district under this section:
(a) In its application described in subsection (2), the district confirms its approval of a department-generated list that includes the full name and personnel identification code for each eligible teacher employed by the district in an assignment as described in subsection (8)(b)(i) and (ii) to whom it will provide a payment under subsection (4) with the funding received under this section.
(b) The district agrees to provide to each eligible teacher whose name is included on the list described in subdivision (a) a payment of $500.00, in addition to the payment it will provide those eligible teachers under subsection (4).
(c) The district agrees to pay each eligible teacher the payment described in subdivision (b) and subsection (4) by not later than 45 days after receiving the disbursement of funds under this section from the department.
(4) An eligible district that receives funding under this section shall use that funding only as follows:
(a) If the eligible district is a district in which at least 70% of the pupils in membership in the district for the immediately preceding fiscal year were economically disadvantaged, to provide a payment of $1,000.00 to each eligible teacher whose name is included on the list described in subsection (3)(a).
(b) If the eligible district is not a district described in subdivision (a), to provide a payment of $500.00 to each eligible teacher whose name is included on the list described in subsection (3)(a).
(5) It is the intent of the legislature to provide for funding so that an eligible teacher who receives a payment under this section from the district to which he or she is assigned as described in this section receives payments under this section through that eligible teacher's third year of teaching at that district if that teacher remains continuously employed full-time at that district during those 3 years. For purposes of this subsection, an eligible teacher is considered continuously employed at a district during a period for which he or she is on approved medical, parental, or military leave.
(6) The funds allocated under this section for 2020-2021 are a work project appropriation, and any unexpended funds for 2020-2021 are carried forward into 2021-2022. The purpose of the work project is to continue providing payments to eligible teachers as described in this section. The estimated completion date of the work project is September 30, 2023.
(7) Notwithstanding section 17b, 2 the department shall make payments under this section on a schedule determined by the department.
(8) As used in this section:
(a) “Economically disadvantaged” means that term as defined in section 31a. 3
(b) “Eligible teacher” means an individual who meets all of the following:
(i) Is assigned a teacher assignment code in the registry of educational personnel for the first time in the 2020-2021 school year.
(ii) Is assigned to a district in the registry of educational personnel in the 2020-2021 school year.
(iii) Has completed a full school year as a full-time teacher at the district to which he or she is assigned as described in subparagraph (ii) or, through a cooperative agreement, at multiple districts.
(iv) Holds a valid Michigan teaching certificate or holds a full-year permit.
(v) Is employed by the district or districts described in subparagraph (iii) on or before November 1, 2020.
(vi) Has not been subject to any recorded disciplinary action during the school year.
(c) “Registry of educational personnel” means the data collected biannually by the center on June 30 and the first business day of December.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 388. Schools and School Aid § 388.1699z - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-388-schools-and-school-aid/mi-comp-laws-388-1699z/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.