Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 43523a. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this part, an individual shall not hunt small game, unless the individual possesses a current base license. A base license authorizes the individual named in the license to hunt for small game, except for animals or birds that require a special license.
(2) If authorized in an order issued under part 401, 1 an individual who possesses a current base license may take specified fur-bearing animals by means other than trapping during the open season for hunting these fur-bearing animals. However, an individual who goes on a bobcat hunt with a licensed hunter is not required to possess a base license if the individual does not carry a firearm, bow, or crossbow and does not own dogs used to chase or locate a bobcat during the hunt.
(3) The fee for a base license is as follows:
(a) Subject to subdivision (b), for a resident, $10.00.
(b) For a resident minor child or nonresident minor child, $5.00.
(c) Subject to subdivision (b), for a nonresident, $150.00.
(4) A base license is void between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise with the exception of coyote hunting.
(5) A nonresident may purchase a limited nonresident small game license entitling that individual to hunt for a 7-day period all species of small game that are available to hunt under a nonresident base license. The fee for a 7-day limited nonresident small game license is $80.00. Except for the purchase of a waterfowl hunting license under section 43525b, 2 the purchase of a 7-day limited nonresident small game license does not entitle the holder to purchase any additional licenses.
(6) Beginning March 1, 2018, a nonresident may purchase a 3-day limited nonresident small game license entitling that individual to hunt for a 3-day period all species of small game that are available to hunt under a nonresident base license. The fee for a 3-day limited nonresident small game license is $50.00. Except for the purchase of a waterfowl hunting license issued under section 43525b, the purchase of a 3-day limited nonresident small game license does not entitle the holder to purchase any additional licenses.
(7) Not later than March 1, 2018, the department shall develop an electronic license that allows an individual to display an electronic copy of his or her base license using an electronic device.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 324. Natural Resources and Environmental Protection § 324.43523a - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-324-natural-resources-and-environmental-protection/mi-comp-laws-324-43523a.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.