Sec. 47. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subject to subsections (3) and (4), a billboard, placard, poster, pamphlet, or other printed matter having reference to an election, a candidate, or a ballot question, shall bear upon it an identification that contains the name and address of the person paying for the matter. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subsection (5) and subject to subsections (3) and (4), if the printed matter relating to a candidate is an independent expenditure that is not authorized in writing by the candidate committee of that candidate, in addition to the identification required under this subsection, the printed matter shall contain the following disclaimer: “Not authorized by any candidate committee”. An individual other than a candidate is not subject to this subsection if the individual is acting independently and not acting as an agent for a candidate or any committee. This subsection does not apply to communications between a separate segregated fund established under section 55 1 and individuals who can be solicited for contributions to that separate segregated fund under section 55.
(2) A radio or television paid advertisement having reference to an election, a candidate, or a ballot question shall identify the sponsoring person as required by the Federal Communications Commission, bear an identification that contains the name of the person paying for the advertisement, and be in compliance with subsection (3) and, except as otherwise provided by subsection (5), with the following:
(a) If the radio or television paid advertisement relates to a candidate and is an independent expenditure, the advertisement shall contain the following disclaimer: “Not authorized by any candidate”.
(b) If the radio or television paid advertisement relates to a candidate and is not an independent expenditure but is paid for by a person other than the candidate to which it is related, the advertisement shall contain the following disclaimer:
“Authorized by _________________________________________________________________”.
(name of candidate or name of candidate committee)
(3) The size and placement of an identification or disclaimer required by this section shall be determined by rules promulgated by the secretary of state. The rules may exempt printed matter and certain other items such as campaign buttons or balloons, the size of which makes it unreasonable to add an identification or disclaimer, from the identification or disclaimer required by this section.
(4) Except for a communication described in subsection (5) and except for a candidate committee's printed matter or radio or television paid advertisements, each identification required by this section shall also indicate that the printed matter or radio or television paid advertisement is paid for “with regulated funds”. Printed matter or a radio or television paid advertisement that is not subject to this act shall not bear the statement required by this subsection.
(5) A communication otherwise entirely exempted from this act under section 6(2)(j) 2 is subject to both of the following:
(a) Must contain the identification required by subsection (1), (2), or (7) if that communication references a clearly identified candidate or ballot question within 60 days before a general election or 30 days before a primary election in which the candidate or ballot question appears on a ballot and is targeted to the relevant electorate where the candidate or ballot question appears on the ballot by means of radio, television, mass mailing, or prerecorded telephone message.
(b) Is not required to contain the disclaimer required by subsection (1) or (2).
(6) A person who knowingly violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or imprisonment for not more than 93 days, or both.
(7) A prerecorded telephone message that in express terms advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate, or the qualification, passage, or defeat of a ballot question, shall bear an identification that contains the name and telephone number, address, or other contact information of the person paying for the prerecorded telephone message, and shall be in compliance with subsection (4). A prerecorded telephone message subject to this subsection is not required to contain a disclaimer.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.