Skip to main content

Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 14. Attorney General § 14.275

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 5.  (1) In the exercise of his powers including the powers granted by this act, a trustee has a duty to act with due regard to his obligation as a fiduciary, including a duty not to exercise any power in such a way as to deprive the trust of an otherwise available tax exemption, deduction or credit for tax purposes or deprive a donor of a trust asset of a tax deduction or credit or operate to impose a tax upon a donor, trust or other person.  “Tax” includes, but is not limited to, any federal, state or local excise, income, gift, estate or inheritance tax.

(2) A trustee of a private foundation trust, except as provided in section 7,  1 shall make distributions at such time and in such manner as not to subject the trust to tax under section 4942 of the IRC.

(3) A trustee of a private foundation trust or a split interest trust, to the extent that the split interest trust is subject to the provisions of section 4947(a)(2) of the IRC, in the exercise of his powers, except as provided in sections 6 and 7,  2 shall not:

(a) Engage in any act of self-dealing as defined in section 4941(d) of the IRC.

(b) Retain any excess business holdings as defined in section 4943(c) of the IRC.

(c) Make any investments in such manner as to subject the foundation to tax under section 4944 of the IRC.

(d) Make any taxable expenditures as defined in section 4945(d) of the IRC.

1  M.C.L.A. § 14.277.
2  M.C.L.A. §§ 14.276 and 14.277.

Cite this article: - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 14. Attorney General § 14.275 - last updated February 09, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard