Skip to main content

Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 129. Public Funds § 129.81

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 1.  (1) This state and any of its departments or political subdivisions, including municipal corporations, or instrumentalities, or any insurance company, building and loan association or company, savings and loan association or company, bank, trust company, or other financial institution or any executor, administrator, guardian, trustee, or other fiduciary may invest their funds or money in the bonds of the home owners' loan corporation or in the bonds of any federal home loan bank or in certificates of deposit or depository receipts of any financial institution.

(2) Assets acceptable for pledging to secure deposits of funds under this act are limited to any of the following:

(a) Assets considered acceptable to the state treasurer under section 3 of 1855 PA 105, MCL 21.143, to secure deposits of state surplus funds.

(b) Any of the following:

(i) Securities issued by the federal home loan mortgage corporation.

(ii) Securities issued by the federal national mortgage association.

(iii) Securities issued by the government national mortgage association.

(c) Other securities considered acceptable to the depositor of funds and the financial institution.

(3) As used in this section, “financial institution” means a state or nationally chartered bank or a state or federally chartered savings and loan association, savings bank, or credit union whose deposits are insured by an agency of the United States government and which maintains a principal office or branch office located in this state under the laws of this state or the United States.

Cite this article: - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 129. Public Funds § 129.81 - last updated February 09, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard