(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Alcoholic beverage” means a spirituous, vinous, malt, or fermented liquor, liquid, or compound that contains at least 0.5% alcohol by volume and is fit for beverage purposes.
(3)(i) “Passenger area” means an area that:
1. Is designed to seat the driver and any passenger of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is in operation; or
2. Is readily accessible to the driver or a passenger of a motor vehicle while in their seating positions.
(ii) “Passenger area” does not include:
1. A locked glove compartment;
2. The trunk of a motor vehicle; or
3. If a motor vehicle is not equipped with a trunk, the area behind the rearmost upright seat or an area that is not normally occupied by the driver or a passenger of the motor vehicle.
(b) This section applies to a motor vehicle that is driven, stopped, standing, or otherwise located on a highway.
(c) A driver of a motor vehicle may not consume an alcoholic beverage in a passenger area of a motor vehicle on a highway.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.