Maryland Code, Labor and Employment § 9-101
Search Code of Maryland
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Accidental personal injury” means:
(1) an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment;
(2) an injury caused by a willful or negligent act of a third person directed against a covered employee in the course of the employment of the covered employee; or
(3) a disease or infection that naturally results from an accidental injury that arises out of and in the course of employment, including:
(i) an occupational disease; and
(ii) frostbite or sunstroke caused by a weather condition.
(c) “Child” includes:
(1) an adopted child;
(2) an illegitimate child;
(3) a posthumous child; and
(4) a stepchild.
(d) “Commission” means the State Workers' Compensation Commission.
(e)(1) “Compensation” means the money payable under this title to a covered employee or the dependents of a covered employee.
(2) “Compensation” includes funeral benefits payable under this title.
(f) “Covered employee” means an individual listed in Subtitle 2 of this title for whom a person, a governmental unit, or a quasi-public corporation is required by law to provide coverage under this title.
(g) “Occupational disease” means a disease contracted by a covered employee:
(1) as the result of and in the course of employment; and
(2) that causes the covered employee to become temporarily or permanently, partially or totally incapacitated.
Read this complete Maryland Code, Labor and Employment § 9-101 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.