Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Insurance § 10-120

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Without regard to the education, experience, or examination requirements of this subtitle, the Commissioner may issue a temporary license to act as an insurance producer to an individual if the individual:

(1) is otherwise qualified;  and

(2) is:

(i) the surviving spouse, next of kin, personal representative, or appointee of the personal representative, of a deceased insurance producer;

(ii) the spouse, next of kin, employee, or legal guardian of a mentally or physically disabled insurance producer;  or

(iii) an employee of a firm, or an officer or employee of a corporation, of a deceased or disabled insurance producer.

(b) Before a person acts as a temporary insurance producer in the State, the person must obtain:

(1) a temporary license in the kind or subdivision of insurance for which the person intends to act as an insurance producer;  and

(2) if applicable, an appointment from an insurer.

(c) An applicant for a temporary license shall:

(1) file with the Commissioner an application on the form that the Commissioner provides;  and

(2) pay to the Commissioner the applicable fee required by § 2-112 of this article.

(d) Within 30 days after the date an application is received, the Commissioner shall:

(1) issue a temporary license to the applicant;  or

(2) refuse in writing to issue a temporary license, stating the reasons for the refusal.

(e) A temporary license issued under subsection (a) of this section expires 15 months after its effective date.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Insurance § 10-120 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard