(a) This section does not apply to life insurance, health insurance, and annuities.
(b) Except to the extent provided for in an applicable filing with the Commissioner as provided by law, an insurer, employee or representative of an insurer or insurance producer may not pay, allow, give, or offer to pay, allow, or give directly or indirectly as an inducement to insurance or after insurance has become effective:
(1) a rebate, discount, abatement, credit, or reduction of the premium stated in the policy;
(2) a special favor or advantage in the dividends or other benefits to accrue on the policy; or
(3) any valuable consideration or other inducement not specified in the policy.
(c) An insured named in a policy or an employee of the insured may not knowingly receive or accept directly or indirectly a rebate, discount, abatement, credit, reduction of premium, special favor, advantage, valuable consideration, or inducement described in subsection (b) of this section.
(d) Except as otherwise provided by law, a person may not knowingly offer, promise, or give any valuable consideration not specified in the policy, except for educational materials, promotional materials, or articles of merchandise that cost no more than $25, regardless of whether a policy is purchased.
(e)(1) An insurer may not make or allow unfair discrimination between insureds or properties having like insuring or risk characteristics in:
(i) the premium or rates charged for insurance;
(ii) the dividends or other benefits payable on the insurance; or
(iii) any of the other terms or conditions of the insurance.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an insurer may not make or allow a differential in ratings, premium payments, or dividends for a reason based on the sex, physical handicap, or disability of an applicant or policyholder unless there is actuarial justification for the differential.
(f) This section does not prohibit an insurer from:
(1) paying commissions or other compensation to licensed insurance producers; or
(2) allowing or returning to its participating policyholders, members, or subscribers lawful dividends, savings, or unabsorbed premium deposits.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.