Maryland Code, Health Occupations § 8-6A-01
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Applicant” means, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) An individual applying for an initial certificate by examination or endorsement;
(2) A certificate holder applying for renewal of a certificate; or
(3) An individual applying for reinstatement of a certificate in accordance with § 8-6A-10 of this subtitle.
(c) “Approved medication technician training program” means a course of training approved by the Board that meets the basic medication technician core curriculum and the medication technician content training specific to the setting in which the medication technician will work.
(d) “Approved nursing assistant training program” means a course of training that meets the basic nursing assistant curriculum prescribed and approved by the Board.
(e) “Board” means the State Board of Nursing.
(f) “Certificate” means a certificate issued by the Board to practice as a certified nursing assistant or a certified medication technician in the State.
(g) “Certificate holder” means a certified nursing assistant or medication technician who has:
(1) An active certificate;
(2) An inactive certificate;
(3) A temporary certificate;
(4) An expired temporary certificate;
(5) An expired certificate;
(6) A lapsed certificate;
(7) A suspended certificate; or
(8) A certificate subject to a reprimand, probation, or suspension.
(h) “Certified medication technician” means an individual who:
(1) Has completed a Board-approved medication technician training program; and
(2) Is certified by the Board as a medication technician.
(i) “Certified medicine aide” means a certified nursing assistant who has completed a Board-approved course in medication administration.
(j) “Certified nursing assistant”:
(1) Means an individual regardless of title who routinely performs nursing tasks delegated by a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse for compensation; and
(2) Does not include a certified medication technician.
(k) “Department” means the Maryland Department of Health.
(l) “Expired certificate” means a certificate that was not renewed before the expiration date of the certificate as established under § 8-6A-08(a) of this title.
(m) “Geriatric nursing assistant” means a certified nursing assistant who has successfully completed the requirements for geriatric nursing assistant mandated under federal law and the regulations of the Board.
(n) “Lapsed certificate” means a certificate that was not renewed because a certificate holder failed to renew the certificate or otherwise did not meet the renewal requirements of this subtitle.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Health Occupations § 8-6A-01 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/health-occupations/md-code-health-occup-sect-8-6a-01.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?