Maryland Code, Health-General § 19-702
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) In adopting this subtitle, the General Assembly intends to:
(1) Provide alternative methods for the delivery of health care services to residents of this State, with a view toward achieving greater efficiency and economy in providing these services;
(2) Encourage the formation of health maintenance organizations that provide health care services to subscribers or groups of subscribers who contract for these services under a system of prepayments; and
(3) Encourage the formation of health maintenance organizations by such diverse groups as:
(i) Nonprofit health service plans;
(ii) Medical health service plans;
(iii) Medical care foundations;
(iv) Groups of professionals, either in the form of partnerships or professional corporations;
(v) Consumer sponsored organizations; or
(vi) Business or legal entities.
(b) To carry out the intent of subsection (a) of this section, the policy of this State is to:
(1) Provide one overall State law that:
(i) Regulates health maintenance organizations;
(ii) Allows flexibility for the many forms these health maintenance organizations may take; and
(iii) Facilitates public understanding and uniform administration of the rules and regulations that are adopted under this subtitle;
(2) Eliminate legal barriers to the organization, promotion, and expansion of health maintenance organizations;
(3) Provide for regulation of:
(i) The quality of health care, by the Department and by professional standards review organizations where appropriate; and
(ii) All other matters covered under this subtitle, by the Commissioner; and
(4) Exempt health maintenance organizations from the insurance laws of this State, except as set forth in this subtitle.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Health-General § 19-702 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/health-general/md-code-health-gen-sect-19-702.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?