Maryland Code, Family Law § 7-105

(a) In granting a decree of absolute divorce or on motion of a party filed within 18 months after a final decree of absolute divorce is entered, the court shall change the name of the requesting party to either the name given the party at birth or any other former name the party wishes to use if:

(1) the party took a new name on marriage and no longer wishes to use it;

(2) the party asks for the change of name;  and

(3) the purpose of the party is not illegal, fraudulent, or immoral.

(b) The provisions of Maryland Rule 15-901 relating to an action for a change of name do not apply to a change of name under this section.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.