Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Education § 7-120

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) In this section, “multiple-birth children” means twins, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, or more.

(b) This section applies only to children entering kindergarten through second grade.

(c)(1) The parent or guardian of multiple-birth children may request that the multiple-birth children or certain groups of the multiple-birth children be placed in the same classroom or separate classrooms if the children are in the same grade level at the same school.

(2) The parent or guardian shall make the request in writing to the school principal within 14 days after:

(i) The first day of school;  or

(ii) If the children were enrolled in the school after the school year has commenced, the first day of attendance of the children.

(d) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a school shall provide the classroom placement requested by the parent or guardian under subsection (c) of this section.

(e) At the end of 30 days, if the principal of the school, in consultation with the teacher of each classroom in which the children are placed, determines that the requested classroom placement is disruptive to the school, the principal may determine the appropriate classroom placement for the children.

(f) The school may:

(1) Recommend to a parent or guardian the appropriate classroom placement for the multiple-birth children;  or

(2) Provide professional educational advice to assist a parent or guardian regarding classroom placement for the multiple-birth children.

(g) A county board may not adopt a classroom placement policy of automatically separating or placing together multiple-birth children.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Education § 7-120 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard