Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section, “violence prevention program” means a course in which education and training is offered in the areas of recognizing, addressing, and resolving issues of violence in the home and the community.
(b) The Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland has established at Bowie State University a State Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution and Violence Prevention. The Maryland General Assembly hereby recognizes that Center.
(c) The General Assembly recognizes that the Center:
(1) Shall serve as the central repository for materials, data, and information related to violence prevention programs operating in the State or available to the State;
(2) May serve as a referral source for violence prevention programs and services operating in the State or available to the State;
(3) May implement volunteer prevention networks throughout the State;
(4) May provide research and evaluation services in the area of violence prevention;
(5) May provide information services regarding violence prevention programs and services;
(6) May provide or facilitate violence prevention education and training programs;
(7) May provide media and media-related services in the area of violence prevention; and
(8) May provide educational and academic support to disruptive youth.
(d) An individual or group operating a violence prevention program in the State shall be encouraged to submit to the Center:
(1) A written description of the program; and
(2) Any other information relating to the program required by the Center.
(e)(1) An individual or group may submit a request to the Center for information on any violence prevention program operating in the State or available to the State.
(2) On request, the Center shall distribute information relating to a violence prevention program.
(f) The operation of the Center shall be supported by funds:
(1) As provided by the Governor in the annual budget of Bowie State University; and
(2) From any other source.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 24-401 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-24-401.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?