Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In Howard County, the governing body of the county may establish a Student Loan Assistance Repayment Program for Teachers employed by the Howard County Public School System.
(b) The purpose of the Program is to attract, recruit, and retain a diverse cadre of qualified teachers in the Howard County Public School System that is reflective of the student population within the county schools.
(c) Subject to subsection (d) of this section, the county shall assist in the repayment of higher education loans owed by an individual who:
(1) Receives a graduate, professional, or undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university;
(2) Obtains employment as a full-time teacher in the Howard County Public School System;
(3) Commits to teach in the Howard County Public School System for a period of not less than 5 years;
(4) Receives an income that is less than the maximum eligible total income levels established by the county, including any additional sources of income;
(5) Is not in default on any student loan; and
(6) Satisfies any other criteria established under the Program by the county.
(d) An applicant for assistance in the repayment of a commercial loan shall demonstrate to the county that the commercial loan was used for tuition, educational expenses, or living expenses for graduate or undergraduate study.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 18-3402 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-18-3402.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?