Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Center” means the Maryland Center for Computing Education.
(3) “Fund” means the Computing Education and Professional Development Fund.
(4) “Plan” means the Maryland State Computer Science Education Implementation Plan.
(b)(1) There is a Maryland Center for Computing Education in the University System of Maryland.
(2) The purpose of the Center is to expand access to high-quality computer science education in grades prekindergarten through 12 by strengthening the skills of educators and increasing the number of computer science teachers in elementary and secondary education.
(3) In carrying out the powers and duties granted under this section, the Center shall work in consultation and collaboration with institutions of higher education in the State, including:
(i) Historically black colleges and universities;
(ii) Other public senior higher education institutions;
(iii) Independent institutions of higher education; and
(iv) Community colleges.
(c)(1) The Center shall develop a Maryland State Computer Science Education Implementation Plan.
(2) In developing the Plan, the Center shall place priority on reaching school districts with high poverty and large rural areas and student populations that are underrepresented in computer science fields.
(3) The Plan shall identify:
(i) Specific actions, resources, metrics, and benchmarks to create a long-term sustainable pipeline of computer science teachers; and
(ii) Activities to obtain and sustain public and private partnerships for funding, mentoring, and internships for teachers.
(4) On or before July 1, 2019, the Center shall finalize and publish the Plan on its website.
(d)(1) The Center shall provide professional development and programs to broaden and sustain the pool of teachers needed to achieve the requirements of § 4-111.4 of this article.
(2) In providing professional development to computer science teachers, the Center shall:
(i) Maintain a clearinghouse with computer science education curricula and resources to support professional development in computer science education;
(ii) Communicate and promote the Center's activities to maintain transparency about upcoming opportunities and available resources; and
(iii) 1. Publish an annual report on the Center's website on the Center's progress in implementing the Plan described in subsection (c) of this section; and
2. Provide a copy of the annual report to the Governor, the University System of Maryland, the State Department of Education, and, in accordance with § 2-1257 of the State Government Article, the General Assembly.
(3)(i) The Center shall administer a grant program to support professional development in computer science education.
(ii) The grant program shall:
1. Be administered through an open and competitive process;
2. Prioritize applications from county boards of education and institutions of higher education; and
3. Prioritize applications that focus on serving:
A. Areas with high poverty;
B. Rural areas; or
C. Areas with large minority or diverse student populations including female students, students with disabilities, and students of ethnic, racial, or other demographic groups that are underrepresented in the field of computer science as identified by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
(e)(1) There is a Computing Education and Professional Development Fund.
(2) The purpose of the Fund is to support the activities of the Center and provide grants under this section.
(3) The Center shall administer the Fund.
(4)(i) The Fund is a special, nonlapsing fund that is not subject to § 7-302 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(ii) Any unspent portions of the Fund may not be transferred or revert to the General Fund of the State, but shall remain in the Fund to be used for the purposes specified in this section.
(iii) The State Treasurer shall hold the Fund separately, and the Comptroller shall account for the Fund.
(5) The Fund consists of:
(i) Money appropriated in the State budget to the Fund;
(ii) Interest earnings of the Fund; and
(iii) Any other money from any other source, including donations, accepted for the benefit of the Fund.
(6) The Fund may be used only for:
(i) Any activity or program that furthers the purposes listed in subsection (b) of this section;
(ii) Grants made by the Center; and
(iii) Administrative expenses of the Center.
(7)(i) The State Treasurer shall invest the money of the Fund in the same manner as other State money may be invested.
(ii) Any interest earnings of the Fund shall be credited to the Fund.
(8) Expenditures from the Fund may be made only in accordance with the State budget.
(9) The Governor shall appropriate at least the following amounts to the Fund:
(i) $1,000,000 for fiscal year 2020; and
(ii) $1,000,000 for fiscal year 2021.
(10) The Center shall, when economically beneficial, leverage State resources and systems to effectively and efficiently execute the requirements of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 12-118 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-12-118.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?