Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The Commission consists of 12 members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(b)(1) One member of the Commission shall be:
(i) A regularly enrolled student in good standing at a Maryland institution of higher education to which the Commission has issued a certificate of approval under this title or that may operate without a certificate of approval under § 11-202.1 of this title; and
(ii) A resident of Maryland.
(2) To the extent possible, the position of student member shall be rotated among all segments of higher education on an equal basis.
(3) The student member may not be the Chairperson of the Student Advisory Council.
(c)(1) In making appointments to the Commission, the Governor shall consider representation from all parts of the State.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the members of the Commission shall be residents of the State and shall be appointed from the general public.
(d)(1)(i) Except for the student member, each member of the Commission serves for a term of 5 years and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(ii) The student member serves for a term of 1 year, beginning July 1 and ending June 30, and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(2) A member appointed to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term serves only for the remainder of that term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(e) Except for the student member, a member may be reappointed but may not serve more than 2 consecutive full terms.
(f) Each member of the Commission:
(1) Serves without compensation; and
(2) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations. 1
(g) During a term of service on the Commission, a member may not be employed, except for the student member as a part-time student employee, by any agency or institution of postsecondary education or be a member of the governing board of any agency or institution of postsecondary education that is subject to the jurisdiction of the Commission.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 11-102 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-11-102.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.