(a) In this section, “opium” includes:
(1) codeine; and
(2) a natural or synthetic compound, manufactured substance, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of opium.
(b)(1) Except on a valid prescription of an authorized prescriber as defined in § 12-101 of the Health Occupations Article , a person may not dispense, give, or sell a preparation containing opium or any of its derivatives.
(2) This subsection does not apply to:
(i) a sale made to an authorized provider; or
(ii) a sale made by a manufacturer, distributor, or licensed pharmacy to a hospital or institution that operates a dispensary in which an authorized provider is in charge.
(c)(1) Except on a prescription from an authorized prescriber as defined in § 12-101 of the Health Occupations Article , a person may not possess or control a preparation containing opium or its derivatives.
(2) A person may possess or control a preparation containing opium or its derivatives if the possession or control is in the regular course of lawful business, occupation, profession, employment, or duty of the person.
(d) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to:
(1) for a first violation, a fine not exceeding $1,000;
(2) for a second violation, a fine not exceeding $2,000; or
(3) for each subsequent violation, imprisonment not exceeding 18 months.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.