(a) Schedule I consists of each controlled dangerous substance:
(1) listed in this section;
(2) added to Schedule I by the Department under § 5-202(b) of this title; or
(3) designated as a Schedule I controlled dangerous substance by the federal government unless the Department objects under § 5-202(f) of this title.
(b)(1) These substances are listed in Schedule I:
(iv) alphacetylmethadol, except levoalphacetylmethadol;
(xxi) dioxaphetyl butyrate;
(xliv) racemoramide; and
(2) Unless specifically excepted under this subtitle, an isomer, ester, ether, or salt of a substance listed in this subsection or a salt of the isomer, ester, or ether is a substance listed in Schedule I if the existence of the isomer, ester, ether, or salt is possible within the specific chemical designation.
(c)(1) These opium derivatives are substances listed in Schedule I:
(v) codeine methylbromide;
(xii) ethylmorphine methyliodide;
(xiv) etorphine 3-methylether;
(xx) morphine methylbromide;
(xxi) morphine methylchloride;
(xxii) morphine methylsulfonate;
(xxx) pholcodine; and
(2) Unless specifically excepted under this subtitle, a salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer of a substance listed in this subsection is a Schedule I substance if the existence of the salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer is possible within the specific chemical designation.
(d)(1) A material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any of the following hallucinogenic or hallucinogenic-like substances is a substance listed in Schedule I:
(iv) 4-methyl-2, 5-dimethoxyamphetamine;
(vi) lysergic acid diethylamide;
(xiii) thiophene analog of phencyclidine;
(xiv) 2, 5-dimethoxyamphetamine;
(xv) 4-bromo-2, 5-dimethoxyamphetamine;
(xvii) 3, 4-methylenedioxyamphetamine;
(xviii) 3, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA);
(xix) 5-methoxy-3, 4-methylenedioxyamphetamine;
(xx) 3, 4, 5-trimethoxyamphetamine;
(xxi) N-methyl-3-piperidyl benzilate;
(xxii) N-ethyl-3-piperidyl benzilate;
(xxvi) 1-methyl-4-phenyl-4-propionoxypiperidine (MPPP);
(xxvii) 1-(2-phenylethyl)-4-phenyl-4-acetyloxypiperidine (PEPAP);
(xxviii) 3, 4-methylenedioxymethcathinone (methylone);
(xxix) 3, 4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV);
(xxx) 4-methylmethcathinone (mephedrone);
(xxxi) 4-methoxymethcathinone (methedrone);
(xxxii) 4-fluoromethcathinone (flephedrone);
(xxxiii) 3-fluoromethcathinone (3-FMC); and
(xxxiv) cannabimimetic agents.
(2) Unless specifically excepted under this subtitle, a salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer of a substance listed in this subsection is a substance listed in Schedule I if the existence of the salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer is possible within the specific chemical designation.
(e)(1) Unless specifically excepted under this subtitle or listed in another schedule, a material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system is a substance listed in Schedule I:
(ii) methaqualone; and
(iii) a salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer of a substance listed in this paragraph if the existence of the salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer is possible within the specific chemical designation.
(2) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any of the following substances is a substance listed in Schedule I:
(i) 3-methylfentanyl (N-3-methyl-1-(2-phenylethyl)-4-piperidyl-1-N-phenylpropanamide), its optical and geometric isomers, salts, and salts of isomers;
(viii) thiofentanyl; and
(f)(1) In this subsection:
(i) “controlled dangerous substance analogue” means a substance:
1. that has a chemical structure substantially similar to the chemical structure of a controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedule I or Schedule II; and
2. that has a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system that is substantially similar to or greater than the stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system of a controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedule I or Schedule II; but
(ii) “controlled dangerous substance analogue” does not include:
1. a controlled dangerous substance;
2. a substance for which there is an approved new drug application; or
3. a substance exempted for investigational use under § 506 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. 1
(2) To the extent intended for human consumption, each controlled dangerous substance analogue is a substance listed in Schedule I.
(g) The Department may not add a substance to Schedule I under § 5-202 of this title unless the Department finds:
(1) a high potential for abuse of the substance;
(2) no accepted medical use in the United States for the substance; and
(3) a lack of accepted safety for use of the substance under medical supervision.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.