(a) In this section, “law enforcement officer” means:
(1) a law enforcement officer who, in an official capacity, is authorized by law to make arrests;
(2) a sheriff, deputy sheriff, or assistant sheriff; or
(3) an employee of the Division of Correction, the Patuxent Institution, the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services, the Division of Parole and Probation, a local correctional facility, or any booking facility.
(b) A person may not knowingly remove or attempt to remove a firearm from the possession of a law enforcement officer if:
(1) the law enforcement officer is lawfully acting within the course and scope of employment; and
(2) the person has knowledge or reason to know that the law enforcement officer is employed as a law enforcement officer.
(c) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.
(d) A sentence imposed under this section may be imposed separate from and consecutive to or concurrent with a sentence for any crime based on the act or acts establishing the violation under this section.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.