(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Collar” means a device constructed of nylon, leather, or similar material specifically designed to be used around the neck of a dog.
(3) “Restraint” means a chain, rope, tether, leash, cable, or other device that attaches a dog to a stationary object or trolley system.
(b) A person may not leave a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint:
(1) that unreasonably limits the movement of the dog;
(2) that uses a collar that:
(i) is made primarily of metal; or
(ii) is not at least as large as the circumference of the dog's neck plus 1 inch;
(3) that restricts the access of the dog to suitable and sufficient clean water or appropriate shelter;
(4) in unsafe or unsanitary conditions; or
(5) that causes injury to the dog.
(c) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 90 days or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.