Maryland Code, Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5-117
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Alleged perpetrator” means the individual alleged to have committed the specific incident or incidents of sexual abuse that serve as the basis of an action under this section.
(3) “Sexual abuse” has the meaning stated in § 5-701 of the Family Law Article.
(b) An action for damages arising out of an alleged incident or incidents of sexual abuse that occurred while the victim was a minor shall be filed:
(1) At any time before the victim reaches the age of majority; or
(2) Subject to subsections (c) and (d) of this section, within the later of:
(i) 20 years after the date that the victim reaches the age of majority; or
(c) In an action brought under this section more than 7 years after the victim reaches the age of majority, damages may be awarded against a person or governmental entity that is not the alleged perpetrator of the sexual abuse only if:
(1) The person or governmental entity owed a duty of care to the victim;
(2) The person or governmental entity employed the alleged perpetrator or exercised some degree of responsibility or control over the alleged perpetrator; and
(3) There is a finding of gross negligence on the part of the person or governmental entity.
(d) In no event may an action for damages arising out of an alleged incident or incidents of sexual abuse that occurred while the victim was a minor be filed against a person or governmental entity that is not the alleged perpetrator more than 20 years after the date on which the victim reaches the age of majority.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Courts and Judicial Proceedings § 5-117 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/courts-and-judicial-proceedings/md-code-cts-and-jud-pro-sect-5-117.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?