The purpose of this subtitle is to establish a Maryland Correctional Enterprises organization in the Division that:
(1) is financially self-supporting, generates revenue for its operations and capital investments, and reimburses the Division at a reasonable rate for services exchanged between the Division and Maryland Correctional Enterprises;
(2) provides meaningful work experiences for inmates that are intended to allow inmates to improve work habits, attitudes, and skills for the purpose of improving the employability of the inmates on release;
(3) seeks to develop industries that provide full-time work experience or rehabilitation programs for all eligible inmates;
(4) operates correctional industries in an environment that resembles as closely as possible the environment of private sector business operations; and
(5) makes the Division responsible for and accountable to the Secretary and the Governor for the Maryland Correctional Enterprises program.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.