Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A charitable organization shall register and receive a registration letter from the Secretary of State before the charitable organization:
(1) solicits charitable contributions in the State;
(2) has charitable contributions solicited on its behalf in the State; or
(3) solicits charitable contributions outside of the State, if the charitable organization is in the State.
(b) A separate registration statement and a registration letter is necessary before any of the following charitable organizations can solicit:
(1) a federated fund-raising organization consisting of independent charitable organizations, including a united fund and a community chest, that:
(i) have joined to solicit charitable contributions and distribute them among themselves; but
(ii) keep their own operating authority and control; or
(2) an independent charitable organization, including one that is a member of a federated fund-raising organization, unless it is specifically exempted or it does not solicit charitable contributions other than as a member of a federated fund-raising organization.
(c)(1) A parent organization shall submit a consolidated registration statement for the affiliates, branches, or chapters in the State that it coordinates, controls, or supervises.
(2) An affiliate, branch, or chapter of a charitable organization shall:
(i) report information needed for a consolidated registration statement to its parent organization;
(ii) submit a separate registration statement; and
(iii) receive a registration letter from the Secretary of State prior to soliciting.
(3) For purposes of this subsection, an independent member agency of a federated fund-raising organization is not an affiliate, branch, or chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Business Regulation § 6-401 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/business-regulation/md-code-bus-reg-sect-6-401.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.