Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 31-202

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)(1) The Governor shall appoint three members to the Board.

(2) The appointments shall be made:

(i) if the Senate is in session, with the advice and consent of the Senate;  or

(ii) if the Senate is not in session, by the Governor alone.

(b)(1) Each member of the Board shall be:

(i) a resident and voter of the county;  and

(ii) an individual of high character and integrity and of recognized business capacity.

(2) Not more than two members of the Board may belong to the same political party.

(c) A member of the Board may not have a pecuniary or other interest in any phase of the manufacture, sale, or distribution of alcoholic beverages.

(d)(1) The term of a member is 6 years.

(2) The terms of the members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Board on July 1, 2016.

(e)(1) The Governor shall appoint an eligible individual to fill a vacancy during the remainder of the term of office of the individual originally appointed in accordance with subsection (a) of this section.

(2) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the remainder of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.

(f)(1) The Governor may remove a member for misconduct in office, incompetence, or willful neglect of duty.

(2) The Governor shall give a member who is charged a copy of the charges against the member and, with at least 10 days' notice, an opportunity to be heard publicly in person or by counsel.

(3) If a member is removed, the Governor shall file with the Office of the Secretary of State a statement of charges against the member and the Governor's findings on the charges.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 31-202 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard