Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 22-2501

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section and otherwise provided in this article, a person may not knowingly allow the consumption, possession, or transfer of alcoholic beverages in an establishment that is a restaurant, tavern, hotel, club, dance studio, disco, or place of public entertainment if:

(1) the establishment is not licensed by the Board;

(2) the person possesses or controls the establishment as owner, lessee, or user;  and

(3) the establishment is:

(i) open to the public or licensed by the State;  or

(ii) licensed by the State or a county unit other than the Board.

(b)(1) The prohibition under subsection (a) of this section does not apply to:

(i) the room of a registered guest in a hotel, motel, or hospice;  or

(ii) the property of:

1. a volunteer fire company;

2. a catering establishment;

3. a community or civic association;

4. a swim club;

5. a social, civic, nonprofit, charitable, fraternal, patriotic, educational, or public service organization;  or

6. a religious institution that has been in existence for at least 3 years.

(2) The Board may exempt a place similar to one listed in paragraph (1) of this subsection on a case-by-case basis.

(3) The Board shall adopt regulations to administer this subsection.

(c) An owner, a manager, or an employee of an establishment subject to the prohibitions of this section who knowingly allows the prohibited consumption in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 22-2501 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard