Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 11-1603

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the Board may not issue a new license for an establishment whose entry is within 1,000 feet in a straight line from the entry of a place of worship or school.

(b) The prohibition against issuing a license in subsection (a) of this section does not apply to:

(1) the transfer of a license from the current license holder to a new license holder, unless the transfer would allow the sale of alcoholic beverages by another establishment within the 1,000-foot restriction;

(2) a nonprofit club or nonprofit organization;

(3) a restaurant that held a license at the time the restaurant was destroyed by fire, flood, windstorm, or other act of God, if a new place of worship or school has not been constructed within the 1,000-foot restriction;

(4) the issuance of a Class H beer and wine (on-sale) license or beer, wine, and liquor (on-sale) license;

(5) the issuance of a motel-restaurant complex or hotel-restaurant complex beer, wine, and liquor (on-sale) license;

(6) the issuance of a Class BLX (deluxe restaurant) (on-sale) beer, wine, and liquor license;  or

(7) the issuance of a gift basket permit.

(c) For an establishment that is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a place of worship or school, the Board:

(1) may renew a license;

(2) may extend the area of the licensed premises;  but

(3) may not change the operational classification of an existing license, unless the change is from a Class B, Class C, or Class D license to a Class H license.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Alcoholic Beverages § 11-1603 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard