Massachusetts General Laws Part I. Administration of the Government (Ch. 1-182) Ch. 111, § 199B

The provisions of sections one hundred and eighty-nine A to one hundred and ninety-nine A, inclusive, shall not apply to any dwelling unit having fewer than two hundred and fifty square feet of floor space calculated on the basis of total habitable room area or which is used as a rooming house;  provided, that no person occupying said dwelling unit may be less than six years of age.

For the purpose of this section, “rooming house” shall mean every dwelling or part thereof which contains one or more rooming units in which space is let or sublet for compensation by the owner or operator to four or more persons not within the second degree of kindred to the person compensated.  Boarding houses, hotels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories and other similar dwelling places shall be included, and “rooming units” shall mean the room or group of rooms let to an individual or household for use as living and sleeping quarters.

Sections one hundred and eighty-nine A to one hundred and ninety-nine A, inclusive and this chapter shall not apply to any unit for which a lease, rental, occupancy or tenancy is of thirty-one days or less in duration, which lease, rental or occupancy is for vacation or recreational purposes;  provided, however, that said dwelling unit has no peeling or chipping paint, and the tenant has received the appropriate lead paint disclosure notification pursuant to regulations promulgated by the department of public health.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard