Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XXXIV. Descent, Wills, and Administration of Decedents' Estates § 396.015. Method of presentation of claims

Claims against a decedent's estate shall be presented as follows:

(1)  The claimant may deliver or mail to the personal representative a written statement of the claim indicating its basis, the name and address of the claimant, and the amount claimed, or may file a written statement of the claim, in the form prescribed by rule, with the clerk of the court.  If presentment shall be made by filing a written statement of the claim with the clerk of the court, the claimant shall certify as provided in the rules of civil procedure that a copy of the written statement has been given or mailed to the personal representative and his attorney.  The claim shall be deemed presented on the first to occur of receipt of the written statement of claim by the personal representative, or the filing of the claim with the court.  If a claim is not yet due, the date when it will become due shall be stated.  If the claim is contingent or unliquidated, the nature of the uncertainty shall be stated.  If the claim is secured, the security shall be described.  Failure to describe correctly the security, the nature of any uncertainty, and the due date of a claim not yet due does not invalidate the presentation made.

(2)  In an action pending against the decedent at the time of his death, which action survives at law, the substitution of the personal representative for the decedent, or motion therefor, shall constitute the presentation of a claim.  Such claim shall be deemed to have been presented from the time of substitution, or motion therefor.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard