(1) A person sixteen (16) years of age or older, may operate an electric low-speed scooter on a highway, bicycle lane, or bicycle path.
(2) A person operating an electric low-speed scooter under this section shall be subject to traffic regulations outlined in this chapter, and the provisions of KRS 189.520 .
(3) An electric low-speed scooter shall be equipped with and shall have illuminated, at least one (1) headlamp and at least one (1) rear red light when:
(a) Operated during the period from one-half ( 1/2 ) hour after sunset to one-half ( 1/2 ) hour before sunrise; or
(b) At such other times as atmospheric conditions render visibility as low as or lower than is ordinarily the case during that period.
(4) An electric low-speed scooter may be parked on a sidewalk in a manner that does not impede the reasonable movement of pedestrian or any other traffic.
(5) An operator of an electric low-speed scooter and any company or entity that provides electric low-speed scooters for rental, shall comply with all local government ordinances.
(6) The Transportation Cabinet shall promulgate administrative regulations pursuant to KRS Chapter 13A to establish safe operating standards for electric low-speed scooters. Administrative regulations established under this section shall not include any equipment or helmet use requirements.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 189.289. Operation of electric low-speed scooter on highway, bicycle lane, or bicycle path. - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xvi-motor-vehicles/ky-rev-st-sect-189-289.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.