Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 186.043. Special license plates for historic motor vehicles; permanent registration
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Kentucky Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) In enacting this section, it is the intention of the General Assembly to recognize the special value of historic vehicles to the Commonwealth, and also to recognize that historic vehicles, because of their limited use and easily identifiable characteristics, do not require the same degree of regulation as other vehicles.
(2) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, “historic vehicle” shall mean all motor vehicles twenty-five (25) years old or older, which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and other special uses, but not for general transportation.
(4) Upon payment of the fee established in KRS 186.162 and an application in accordance with regulations issued by the Transportation Cabinet, the secretary of the Transportation Cabinet shall issue a certificate of registration and two (2) special license plates of a different color and design than the regular license plate, which, in the judgment of the secretary of the Transportation Cabinet, will best advertise, popularize, and promote the Commonwealth of Kentucky. These plates, besides the word “Kentucky” shall have the words, “Historic Motor Vehicle” inscribed in a conspicuous manner and carry no year date. These plates shall have a serial number beginning with the number “100” and continue in a consecutive numerical sequence.
(5) Historic vehicles may display an authentic Kentucky license plate, twenty-five (25) years or older, or a reproduction of such a plate, if the historic motor vehicle plate and the registration receipt are kept in the vehicle at all times.
(6) The registration license and license plates of historic motor vehicles shall be valid without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence. If the historic motor vehicle is sold, the registration and license shall be assigned and transferred to the new owner on the records of the Transportation Cabinet upon receipt of an application in accordance with regulations issued by the cabinet and payment of a fee of three dollars ($3).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 186.043. Special license plates for historic motor vehicles; permanent registration - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xvi-motor-vehicles/ky-rev-st-sect-186-043.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?